Green Energy Option Facts
- GEOP is one of the provisions from the Philippine government that allow qualified electricity consumers to choose their electricity supplier.
- It is an initiative of the Department of Energy (DOE) that aims to empower business owners to choose renewable energy (RE) as their exclusive source of electricity.
- Customers who switch to GEOP may enjoy zero VAT on their generation charges.
- Existing businesses with an electricity demand of 100kW and up for the last 12 months can directly contract with RE suppliers.
- Businesses newly connected with their electric utilities (electric connection < 6 months) can also enter into a GEOP supply contract by providing proof that their average demand in the last three months is 100kW or higher.
- Business owners can expect one electric bill to replace their incumbent utility’s bill. It will be transparent, segregated, and unbundled so owners can know exactly what they are paying for.
- Participation is solely by choice. Business owners can choose to go back to their electric utility if they are unsatisfied with their RE supplier’s service. They can as easily leave their utility again and contract with an RE supplier if they choose.
- Business owners must inform their incumbent electric utility of their decision to switch. The utility and their preferred RE supplier will inform them of the technical, commercial, and legal arrangements needed to implement the contract. Any financial obligations to their incumbent utility must be settled prior to switching.
- This will benefit thousands of businesses in the Philippines with an average monthly billing of Php 190,000.
- Mindanao business owners may have to wait for WESM to be implemented on the island. This will be well after 2020, since WESM Mindanao is only expected to start commercial operations in Q4 2020 as per IEMOP.
- We are expecting that in 2021, the GEOP market will be on full commercial operations in Luzon and Visayas.
- EDC’s subsidiary, Bacman Geothermal, Inc. (BGI), was awarded a GEOP operating permit in 2020. BGI will facilitate all necessary switching and registration requirements for its prospective customers.
Green Energy Option Program:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the GEOP?
GEOP stands for Green Energy Option Program, which is an initiative of the Department of Energy (DOE) to allow consumers to exclusively source from renewable energy (RE) as opposed to consuming whatever is supplied by their distribution utility. It is provided in Republic Act No. 9513, also known as the Renewable Energy Act of 2008.
Who can apply for the GEOP?
Consumers with a peak demand of at least 100kW and above may directly contract with an RE supplier under the GEOP. To find out if you qualify, you may check the “Demand” portion of your power bill. You can also contact us and we can help you check if you qualify.
Where do I apply for the GEOP?
You may inquire with any RE supplier who has a valid GEOP operating permit issued by DOE like First Gen Energy Solutions or Bac-Man Geothermal Inc.
How do I apply for the GEOP?
To apply for the GEOP, simply provide your preferred RE supplier with copies of your power bills for the past 12 months.
How much is the per kWh charge under the GEOP?
When a customer participates in the GEOP, savings can be enjoyed on generation charges.
The generation charge that will apply when you participate in the GEOP will vary and will depend on your monthly consumption.
Do I need to pay other fees when I apply for the GEOP with First Gen Energy Solutions?
Only a security deposit is required, prior to the start of supply. No other fees will be required.
How much is the Security Deposit?
The security deposit will be computed based on your monthly power bill.
Can I revert to my electric distribution utility after I've contracted under the GEOP?
Contracting under the GEOP is completely voluntary and at the discretion of the customer. If you decide not to renew your GEOP contract, you can choose to revert to your electric distribution utility.
Learn More About GEOP
QUICK READ: EDC will continue to advocate alternative energy in the country and urge the...
While the battle against climate change is a global concern, it’s a fight that is more significant...
Get GEOP-related news via e-mail
By using clean, reliable, cost competitive renewable energy, you can create a better future for your business and our planet.
Let us help you find the best solution tailored to your energy consumption and business needs. Ready to switch? Contact us now!
Energy Development Corporation
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (+632) 8667.7EDC (8667.7332) / (+632) 7755.2332
Head Office: 40th Floor One Corporate Centre, Julia Vargas corner Meralco Avenue, Ortigas Center, Pasig City 1605, Philippines